In regards to my muffin recipe, I really don’t have one. Every week when I make a batch, they are different. This is what I do and suggest:
- Find a standard banana bread or zucchini bread recipe and use it as an outline for measurements, baking soda, vanilla, etc…
- If you want them gluten-free, replace the white flour. I tend to use brown rice flour. The last batch was brown rice and buckwheat flour, because that’s what I had on hand. I’ve even thrown in left over oatmeal, quinoa etc…
- If you want them vegan, replace the eggs with a flax egg (1 tbsp of ground flax to 3 tbsp of H20; refrigerate for 15 min. at least) I use 3. If you want to use eggs, cut the fat by using 1 whole egg, 2 egg whites only (1/3 cup of egg white = 2 whole eggs)
- Eliminate white sugar: I use molasses or honey in combination with the fruit. I don’t like them too sweet so I only use around 1/3 of a cup of molasses or honey.
- Regarding the fruit, use whatever you have. I’ve used basically everything: banana, pear, strawberry, blueberry, plum, etc… Whatever’s in season & I’d like to get rid of.
- I always add hearty fruit or vegetables to add depth: Apple, sweet potato, pumpkin, carrot, squash etc… (shred these items in at the end & fold rather than mix) I’ve even added left over corn!
- I like adding raisins & walnuts. Seriously add whatever you want. I’ve tried dark chocolate chips, almonds, sunflower seeds, dried cranberry, etc….
- Spice it up with cinnamon and / or allspice.
- Every oven’s different. You have to keep checking with a tooth pick to make sure they’re cooked through. Usually a temp of 325 or 350 for 25 – 27 minutes tends to work.
Good luck & Enjoy!
Please let me know how they turn out! Your feedback in important! What combination of items fit your taste buds?